Saturday, August 22, 2009

San Francisco

I lived in San Francisco in the 1990's, got my Ph.D. here while living in Haight-Ashbury. Now when I visit and I do like to visit, I stay with one of my best friends just south of Golden Gate Park in what is locally known as the Inner Sunset.

From here I can walk to a great bagel place, a wonderful Thai restaurant, two good Indian-Pakistani eateries, including Tasty Curry where we ate tonight. The park is just three blocks away and the DeYoung and the Science Museums just a few blocks beyond that just past the Arboretum. 

Like everyone who doesn't have it, I love mass transit. But perhaps the most I love San Francisco weather. Today it was a blistering 74 and sunny, while yesterday was my absolute favorite--foggy and 68. We were in Rainbow Market a few nights back and picked up the ingredients for tonight's project. Recipe below:

2 c sesame seeds
9 c rolled oats
3 c spelt
1 1/2 c brown sugar
1 c wheat germ
12 oz shredded coconut
1 1/2 c sunflower seeds
3/4 c vegetable oil
1 3/4 c honey
3 tsp vanilla
bunch of slivered almonds
lots of dried cranberries
be sure to wear a flower if you have hair

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what do you have when you mix all those ingredients????
lurking as always..
NewJane

The Shrink said...

Mix everything except the oil, honey, vanilla and cranberries. Heat the oil and honey, when they just start to boil throw in the vanilla. Then pour the hot mixture into the dry stuff, which is in a big damn bowl. Spread out on several cookie sheets, bake at 325 until it starts to turn golden, stir often. Toss in another big bowl, throw in cranberries, do this many times for this oversized batch of GRANOLA.

See you at Idoru's in October?

Anonymous said...

I will be there and can't wait to see you!
NewJane