Monday, October 08, 2012

"They"

Two of my very best friends continue to make arguments that drive me just a bit crazy. The first was making an point about southern Nevada 'taking' more water from northern Nevada to fill the needs of Las Vegas.

Her argument was that "they are draining the northern basin of water needed for both animals and humans who live in that region." I wasn't really upset by the blatant prejudice she holds against Las Vegas, lots of people don't like Vegas. I do object to the use of "they" as some catch-all designation for doers of evil.

My other friend works in the educational system and has each and every year gone on and on about how "they are cutting another X dollars from the educational budget." Again, the use of the evil "they" to demonize a nefarious group of people.

Here is what bothers me. Those "theys" being referenced are us. We are the taxpayers who can't afford those educational funds, we are those thirsty people who want and need a glass of water when we are in the desert.

Now I am not saying that educational priorities shouldn't eclipse some of the other expenditures of state government, nor am I saying that building a tourist attraction in the middle of the desert was such a good idea. What I am saying is that there are no evil "theys" out there. As Pogo is often quoted as saying: "We have met the enemy and he is us."

What I want to say is - please stop the "theying" it only divides us and misses the point by a margin of at least one person.


[First known use of the phrase "we have met the enemy and he is us." Earth Day poster 1970 by Walt Kelly creator of Pogo.]

No comments: