Friday, May 22, 2015

You Say You Want a Revolution


You say you want a revolution
Well, you know We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution

Well, you know We all want to change the world

But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out - Beatles


I'm not sure where my old friend Terry is these days. I do remember that he dropped The Beatles from his life when they came out with Revolution. His objection in 1968 was to the blanket rejection of revolution as a means of changing the government. Hence, the line: But when you talk about destruction. My guess is that some of the Fab Four would have changed their minds about revolution by now, if they had lived this long. 

But what about us. Once again we are being lulled into participation with Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. But we all know the Wall Street bought and paid for Hillary Clinton is going to get the nomination. Do we feel fortunate that the republicans remain stuck with their clown car primary circle jerk?

What about real change?

What about laws sneaking through state legislatures every day that:

-put more restrictions on a woman's right to control her own body;

-deny senior's rights to social security benefits they were forced to contribute to;

-limit individual rights and freedoms for anyone not white, straight and male;

Should I mention: 

-endless foreign wars; 

-restrictions on the right to vote; 

-fracking polluting your drinking water;

-fracking causing earthquakes;

-Baltimore, Ferguson, Detroit;

You say you want a revolution? 
I've got my pitchfork. 
How about you?



No comments: